Hubert Nakitare, better known as Nonini is one of Kenya’s most famous Urban Music Artistes. He is the Godfather of Genge and the one artiste who brought to life one of Kenya’s biggest and most influential recording studios (Calif Records), Nonini has been in the industry for 11 years now signed to Pro Habo Records.
Nonini (born October 2, 1982), whose real name is Hubert Nakitare, is a Kenyan Genge/Hip Hop artist. He was introduced to the Kenyan urban music scene through his debut single “Nonini ni Nani?” His steady rise to national and regional popularity did not begin however until his 2002 track “Manzi wa Nairobi,” a song which praised the beauty of Kenyan women and follow-up single “Wee Kamu”. He went on to release his debut album Hanyaring Game in late 2004 which included the hit “Keroro” a sheng term for beer.
Nonini is famed for releasing the first Genge hit early in his career. Later, Nani Mwenza, his collaboration track with Tanzanian musician Juma Nature, became a regional hit. In his most recent great creations, he has collaborated with local artist Nameless to create a Friday anthem appropriately title “furahi-day” which has received much airplay over the weeks. Both songs were on his second album Mwisho Ya Mawazo, released in 2007. The album featured number of more guest musicians, including Nyota Ndogo, Mercy Myra, Professor Jay and Q-Chief. In August 2007.
In 2009 he was named International Lifestyle Ambassador by the Limkokwing University in Malaysia.
Nonini dedicates his time to help upcoming musicians and in 2008 he started up a whole new crew known as the P-Unit (Pro-habo unit) that consists of rappers Bonnie, Frasha, Gabu. The crew has released some songs most notably “Si lazima” which in swahili means it’s not a must. “Si lazima” is a song that talks of times in a relationship where a couple doesn’t need to have sex they can just go home and chill.People have found the song quite ironic to the messages he portrayed in his previous songs.
At the 2007 Kisima Music Awards P-Unit won the Boomba Group category. Their second single is known as Kushoto-Kulia; meaning left-right. Both songs are on Nonini’s Mwisho ya Mawazo album. There Debut album came out in 2010 dubbed Wagenge Hao with the monster hit single “Kare”P-unit which ruled the Kenyan Music industry air waves & won them an MTV Africa best group Nomination. 2011 They collaborated with Sauti Sol to bring u the Hit single Gentleman.
In 2012 Nonini initiated the Colour Kwa Face Campaign inspired by his Song from the godfather album called ‘Colour Kwa Face’ where he featured female vocalist called Christine Apondi.
Colour Kwa Face Initiative is campaign which advocates and educates on the well being of albino persons who are often marginalized and misunderstood.
The campaign collects Sunscreen lotion to supply to those Albinos who are unable to meet the cost of this expensive lotion that would otherwise assist them in their day to day lives. The campaign gave birth to the Colour Kwa Face Foundation.
• Hanyaring Game (2004)
• Mwisho ya Mawazo (2007)
• Godfather (2009)
• 2004 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards – Best Male Artist
• 2007 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards- Best Song (“Si Lazima”) & Best Collaboration (“Si Lazima”) & Best Group (P-Unit)
• 2007 Kisima Music Awards- Boomba Group (P-Unit)
• 2008 Chaguo La Teeniez Awards – Best Music Video (“Mtoto Mzuri”) & Best Group (P-Unit)
2008 Kisima Music Awards-Boomba Group (P-Unit), Best Collaboration (P-Unit & DNA- “Una”)
• 2008 MTv Africa Music Awards- Listener’s Choice (P-Unit & DNA- “Una”)
• Limkokwing University Lifestyle Ambassador. (This award has also been granted to distinguished VIP’s such as Mel Gibson, Bruce Davey, Miss England 2008, Miss India 2006, Eric Way (Sex and the City), Miss Botswana, HE Prince Andrew, HE Festus Moghae (President Of Botswana), Prime Minister of Malaysia. The award is in line with the University’s of building the skills of their young citizens, particularly in the area of new technology, of Sound and Music, Film and Television and other creative courses).
The truth is there is more than enough love, creative ideas, power, joy, happiness to go around 😘 😘